Dang it. Lost my blog entry. Here it is, recreated Llama-style.

Mission statements like, โ€œBe usefulโ€ are useless. Useful how? Include adjectives you intend to measure. I replaced my resume โ€œgoalโ€ with a motto/mission statement: โ€œMaintainable, modular, documented, high-quality code delivered in a timely, customer-oriented fashion.โ€ Each adjective cries out for a few metrics. A little cheesy, but a heck of a lot better than, โ€œBe the most useful employee for my employer.โ€ Beware of places that just strive to be [non-committal adjective here].

Sunโ€™s online Java Tutorial is updating after all. I kept thinking Iโ€™d caught a little change/tweak here and there, but small enough I wondered if I was crazy. When I saw this quote, I knew I wasnโ€™t (at least not b/c of noticing these changes):

Run RadioButtonDemo using Java Web Start.

Sun used to have 1.0 and 1.1 versions of examples like this in applets. Nice to see theyโ€™ve finally given that straightjacketing technology up for JWS. Browsers were too constraining. JWS busts out of the browser and does you one better. Now the browser is a relatively xplat delivery tool. Very nice.