Seems this fellow who "started at Microsoft in June of 1994 on the Excel team" drunk the kool-aid all right:

For the curious, here is what 'drinking the kool-aid' is really like: After about a year at Microsoft, I got tired of these endless Type 11 errors every 20min running Netscape on my Mac at home. These required me to restart the machine each time - losing everything I had been doing. The flawless and imperturbable performance of Windows NT at work won me over on purely pragmatic grounds - so I finally got a PC at home. After a year of distrusting the company somewhat, I began to gain an appreciation of how Microsoft worked, and to see it for what it was - a machine that was focused on building products that people wanted, as quickly and as well as they could. Note the 'quickly' - this was what distinguished MS from Apple in the end - a focus on moving quickly, and beating the competition.

Type 11 errors every 20 minutes? The next quote gives us key info as to what's going on:

I was a fairly sophisticated Mac user, and I knew all about extensions, and extension manager, and what sorts of things could go wrong in the Mac. The fact that the Mac I had loved for years for its simplicity and appliance-like perfection (I loved MacWord 5.1a similarly) was now forcing me to have to deal with this overhead of managing its internals on a daily basis wore me down over the months. I had to rebuild my system file regularly.

I don't know what he was running, but I sure as heck never had this trouble. Nor am I having it now with an old Powerbook 520 running 7.6.1. I should have a 520c up soon with 7.5 on it, and it'll be interesting to see if that version causes more grief. In any event, when my LC went from 6 to 7, I don't recall having trouble on the same level as this schmoe, and my Powerbook 150, used daily, did just great on 7-7.6.

What we've got is someone doing the near equivalent of hacking his own registry daily in Windows. Eventually you're going to mess up. I'm suspicious that he never backed up his work and reinstalled the OS cleanly after this reboot per 20 minute cycle.

Anyhow, I'm not going to slam MS and Office's superiority back in 1996 or so. MS has made some really nice products. But the characterization that Apple didn't -- and the implication that they therefore don't & can't -- produce quickly enough is likely wrong-headed.