Okay, this is a subject that takes up way too much of my life, but has yet not been the main point of a post on mfn. Oh well.

From ESPN:
Contacted Sunday by The Associated Press, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, 'He has a financial obligation to Reebok, which produces the jerseys available to fans. That has to be resolved before the on-field jersey can be changed.

'The same obligation exists for any player that changes his number or name.'


Okay, the number is fair enough. I know Kobe had to wait to change from 24 to 8. I understand that the league might own your number and your jersey -- and its likeness.

But your name? It makes you wonder again about some of Warren Sapp's quickly derided comments some years back. How can an employer own -- and then license -- your name?

Some things shouldn't be ownable. (I almost said that some things shouldn't be commercialized, but heck, if you want to change your last name to SprintCellular.com, be my guest.)

Labels: ,