Ran through a "You do not have permission to view this directory or page because of the access control list" error when drumming up a simplest-case javascript app on my local box in c:\inetput\wwwroot\testFolder. It was a permissions issue, but I couldn't figure out how to add the danged IIS_IUSRS into the Security Group or user names box.

This started well (though I'd flubbed my way through most of that already right-clicking around), but I couldn't get the "Add >>> Select Users, Computers, Service Accounts, or Groups" to give up the IIS_USRS user.

Turns out to have been a simple problem.  The "Select Users..." box was defaulting to a network location in "From this location".  Once I clicked the "Locations" button and changed that to "[MyBoxName]", I finally found the fugitive.

Unfortunately, that's still not making the file visible.  /sigh  All I can figure is that I've screwed up includes somehow.  I've got c:\inetpub\wwwroot\testFolder, and in there is a file (index.html) that includes a javascript file in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\includes.

After playing around in inetmgr for a while, I gave up and tried moving the file into the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\testFolder hierarchy, which works.