I've been using Amazon Prime a bit more recently, since it's a "free" [with Prime, which I have] and ad-less streaming service. It hit me today, after listening through a few albums by bands I like that I already own that streaming isn't just replacement revenue for selling music the old fashioned way (albums & mp3s, which I guess are also "old fashioned" now), but when folks don't upload all their stuff to the cloud, an additional revenue stream for bands.

It's easier to add the cloud album to my account than to upload my own copy, so there goes a fraction of a penny with each "spin" the bands would've never gotten if I'd listened my own tracks in iTunes.

I'm not saying this is a new revenue stream, just that it's completely different. Apple Music in particular does its best to convince you that, as Eddie Cue said, I think, "Your music is just your music," but that's not the case at all, at least not for artists. Each channel -- CDs, vinyl, digital sales, radio, licensed use in commercials/movies/TV, streaming services -- is a different business proposition, and none of them seem particularly mutually exclusive.

I wonder if Apple Music makes a distinction while streaming. "This track was uploaded/purchased from the iTMS. NO ROYALTIES FOR YOU!!" I bet not.

You're welcome for the $0.02, Chris Robinson Brotherhood.

Labels: , ,