In other news, from stackoverflow.com:

You can append ",ac" to the watch expression to have it automatically refresh the value

x.ToString(),ac

Seeย http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e514eeby.aspxย for more information and other format specifiers.

Well, of course. /sigh

I was trying to evaluate src.Substring(i,20) in my Watch window, and it had the "This expression causes side effects and will not be evaluated" deal beside it with the annoying little "refresh" button. Finally decided there's got to be a better option than hitting "refresh" every loop iteration.

I like Visual Studio a lot -- and, somewhat unrelatedly, though I guess it speaks to the general quality of MS IDE tools, have started using Visual Studio Code to debug Node apps -- but there are some edge cases that really surprise me.

Labels: ,