[At least one version of] Oracle apparently dislikes strings being inserted into data fields, no matter what their format. Here's the workaround I used:

For example. If I want to execute statement:

select to_date('11/20/2003 10:21:00 PM', 'MM/DD/RRRR HH:MI:SS AM') from dual;

.. oracle will complain when my nls_language is set to SLOVENIAN.
after I set it to AMERICAN, everything works fine.


[Update, 12/19: It should be noted that SQuirreL SQL, the open source, Java based isql client, is a super app for anyone doing database work. I was helping install a JSP app built against SQL Server that was being deployed on Oracle, and SQuirreL made testing permissions, checking up after the customer's dba for tables and triggers, etc, even "DTS" type moves from an off-site MS SQL Server to the customer's Oracle server a no brainer, not even requiring opening a new application. The best part is being able to play dba without learning a new suite of dba tools. ANSI SQL and SQuirreL can go a long ways towards extending dba skillz learned on MS SQL, Postrgresql, mySql, Oracle, DB2, even hsql, to anybody else in the same list. Kudos to that app. I'll have to buy it dinner sometime.]