Network Advertising Initiative:

Opt Out of Behavioral Advertising

The NAI Opt-out Tool was developed in conjunction with our members for the express purpose of allowing consumers to 'opt out' of the behavioral advertising delivered by our member companies.
...
The NAI has adopted a policy that all NAI member companies set a minimum lifespan of five years for their opt out cookies.


You can also find out more about what each company thinks you like by following the links in this WSJ story. Strangely, Google told me that the only interest it related to be via cookie was country music. All I can figure is I bagged that looking at Taylor Swift's fake rap, Thug Story. Predictable, but pretty funny, even if Chris Robinson doesn't care for her. At all. Pretty flimsy connection in any event. If you want me to spend money, you'd be better off pimping rare Crowes songs.

The Opt-Out tool is interesting. I wonder how well it works. I'd say I wonder if I didn't want targeted commercials, but if all Google knows about me after all of my surfing is that I viewed a Taylor Swift video, well, I'm not sure why anyone's making a big deal about this stuff. Seriously -- Apple, Redskins, Black Crowes, etc seem like obvious, behavior based interests any human watching me would have figured out pretty quickly.

Labels: , ,