From daringfireball.net:

Mossberg:

For instance, when I asked Siri on my Mac how long it would take me to get to work, it said it didnโ€™t have my work address โ€” even though the โ€œmeโ€ contact card contains a work address and the same synced contact card on my iPhone allowed Siri to give me an answer.

Similarly, on my iPad, when I asked what my next appointment was, it said โ€œSorry, Walt, somethingโ€™s wrongโ€ โ€” repeatedly, with slightly different wording, in multiple places on multiple days. But, using the same Apple calendar and data, Siri answered correctly on the iPhone.

These sort of glaring inconsistencies are almost as bad as universal failures. The big problem Apple faces with Siri is that when people encounter these problems,ย they stop trying.

Exactly right. I've had it do the same thing when I ask Siri to give me directions home, usually because I want to know if there's enough traffic to go an alternate route, and I get the same, "Who are you?!" complaint. But if I open Maps, "Home" is usually the first location listed.

QA sucks at Apple. I'm no longer politely questioning it.

Spend ten million (he said figuratively) and get the best QA staff in the business, and make sure there's no silo making QAing app interactions an issue. If Maps borks like this, the QA team "for Maps" has to be able to hold Siri and Contacts (or whatever else) accountable. No software ships until this blocking bug is fixed.

Good QA will think of and try these sorts of pretty obvious, yet creative, use (not edge, simply "use") cases before you ship.

Pitiful. Seriously pitiful.

Labels: , , , , ,