About a week and a half ago, I compared the CPU Mark scores for three inexpensive programmers' laptops. Just for my own benefit, and so I stop looking it up over and over myself, here's what the current "entry level" MacBooks give you:

2017 entry level MacBook benchmarks

So compared to my cheap-o Windows laptops, not great, though the "Escape" is probably workable. Here, again, are the Acer Aspire with i3, i5, and what I have now (the i7-7700HQ).

Old scores of Acer Aspires and my Y700

I was wondering if I'd bite on a Mac Pro if one dropped in time for WWDC, since I've been considering a prebuilt tower, but now that we know there's no Mac Pro until 2019, that's not an option either.

It kinda stinks. I've got an excuse to upgrade -- my Windows laptop's battery's age and dated Mac laptop -- but nothing good enough to let me turn that excuse into a true reason to buy. Wish there was a MacBook that was "close enough" to justify the Mac tax.

Which leaves me back at the completely uninspiring but insanely practical & affordable Aspire 15 I mentioned last time or wait and see if we can't get a summer speed bump for the Escape.

Labels: , , ,