I wasn't super happy with StackOverflow moving away from job listings, and said so on meta in what amounted to a quick screed. It's gotten more upvotes than I expected.
 
Here's a snippet:

I mean, you said this...

Developers and technologists often want to learn about companies as they begin to evaluate opportunities in order to understand things like the company culture, the work/life balance, the social and environmental policies, the tech stack, and the learning and development opportunities companies offer. This is collectively referred to as โ€œEmployer Branding.โ€

If jobs aren't a part of that "branding and needs", why is your user base going to view that content? Why do I care about a company's work/life balance if I don't want to apply? I can tell you the only reason I ever access that content now is to see if I want to work at that company.

I've never seen a good answer why they were moving from Jobs to... Partner Branding.
 
But then, today, a reason for the change finally hit me: They were already cutting off the small fish in Jobs (see another rant here where StackOverflow Jobs basically told my current medium-sized company to shove it). What might the big companies complain about with the old job listings?
 
The old StackOverflow Jobs listings required companies to compete on salary. The new "branding-only" listings don't.
 
What did I like best about the old listings? I liked that I could passively keep track of about what I was worth. What would cause me to take a second look at a "good" listing? They paid above that typical market value.
 
Look, I could be wrong, but there's very little about the new listings UI that distinguishes it from the old one except one thing: Salaries. 
 
The new listings have the company description. They even still have the stack the company is using (*ahem* STACK ISN'T BRANDING). It's the same except for salaries and, well, okay, the title of the job. But if you're a big company, you constantly have openings up and down the stack. You'd rather not pay per job title anyhow.
 

Overall, I've disliked the direction SO has gone since its buyout. The weirdest part to me is that, because of the content's licensing at StackOverflow, "anyone" (he said in quotes) could take it and create a quality alternative.
 
If someone else wants to do that, please give me a call. ;^)

Labels: , , ,