With the wonders of cut & paste, here's a quick review of NVu I sent to a mailing list a while back...

> NVu is nice, it's based on the Mozilla editor code, the one drawback
> is that it doesn't handle frames.
>
> The NVu website shows how to get a frames-like effect using CSS
> (Which is the 'correct' way to do it, in fact, as frames are being
> deprecated) but be aware of that if you're going to work on an
> existing web site that does use frames.
>
> We have a bunch of people using it.

I've had some real issues with NVu, though overall I'll admit I like it. The indentation functions have some real issues and occasionally I've had trouble with it "remembering" styles (an added bold, etc) after I've turned them off several times, which requires a trip into the "Source" pane for some first aid. The interface leaves a little to be desired, as there aren't keyboard shortcuts for many of the buttons on the menu bar, which slows me down considerably. Nor does it seem to find linked stylesheets in its WYSIWYG window.

I've also noticed that the html code, though very lean and easy to hack by hand after you're done, does tend to leave in quite a few "appendix" tags after editing, like spans without anything between the tags, etc.

This is all with the version from 20050624.

In any event, for light "word processing on the web", it's really stellar. Spellcheck is great to have and it does a super job of WYSIWYGing aside from linked css. And thank freakin' heavens for the lack of html bloat, the span issues aside. It's an html designer's dream if they have to accept formatted text from other members of their company. Now, instead of having to recut something from Word, you get them to download NVu to edit and work from that very easy to modify base.

Interestingly for me, Seamonkey 1.0 is out now and has Composer in it. I wonder which set of Composer code is more stable?