Macworld: Some words from Rob Griffiths over at MacWorld:

For that reason, I truly believe that the removal of VB support from Office marks the beginning of the end for Mac Office. I fear itโ€™s much too late to see any change in plans from the MacBU, which is too badโ€”the next version of Office could have been great.

Here's my quick answer...
Is the Mac Business Unit at Microsoft (MBU) also going to stop supporting REALbasic scripting? If not, this is probably a relatively smart move, as it allows them to get the product out the door that much more quickly and allow people to leverage VB skills via REAL Software's very similar system. There's a pretty good thread going on the MBU blog Rob mentions on the subject, and I'll be waiting to see MS's reply.

Of course, legacy documents will continue to open in the current Mac version of MS Office, Office 2004, macros and all. I don't see that code rusting too soon.

Office 2004 + REALbasic doesn't solve all of Rob's issues, and I particularly like his idea of using Rosetta to have provided a new Office with VBA without the issues of porting to Universal, but I'd rather have micro-less Office docs (and micro-ful docs supported sans micros) supported on the Mac before I worried about VBA. If I'm MS, I probably don't want to keep pouring resources into Rosetta too heavily myself, even if I can't see Apple ripping the rug out from under me.

In any event, leaning on MS 2004 is probably going to be a Mac user's best bet for legacy VB-enabled files, and, as a commenter on the MBU blog has pointed out, if you've got to have VBA for business, there's a pretty easy way -- via a hefty upsell to Vista -- that you can get VBA on your Intel Mac. And if people complain long enough and still buy in great enough numbers, I wouldn't be surprised to see an expensive upgrade in their future.