iCloud glitch offers users 25GB of storage space until 2050:
In what appears to be an internal error with Apple's iCloud management system, a number of users are seeing their accounts credited with 25GB of storage space, with the next renewal date coming up 38 years from now.

You know, I don't think I've included the Columbia, SC Maps fail in this list.


"Hey guys, let's go see the #6 NCAA football team in the country smash Kentucky Saturday!  Woohoo!"  [30 hours later]  "Why does this remind me of that scene in Bedazzled where Brendan Fraser is speaking Spanish?"

Testing at Apple has turned to mush post-Jobs.  It makes me wonder if Jobs' didn't spend a crudloads of time testing (and by "crudloads of time" I mean "was on top of a team of folks that spend crudloads of time testing").  I mean, we know he would get obsessed about things like the color of icons.  If there wasn't a trickle down of that sort of precise review, there was a forced march.  Whoever is running software dev isn't scared of whoever is doing the post-Jobs app review, and Apple's worse for it.

My perception of what Jobs must have been doing reminds me a lot of Spolsky talking about Bill Gates.  Here's a little from that post from Spolsky titled "My First BillG Review":

June 30, 1992.


In those days, Microsoft was a lot less bureaucratic. Instead of the 11 or 12 layers of management they have today, I reported to Mike Conte who reported to Chris Graham who reported to Pete Higgins, who reported to Mike Maples, who reported to Bill. About 6 layers from top to bottom. We made fun of companies like General Motors with their eight layers of management or whatever it was.


In my BillG review meeting, the whole reporting hierarchy was there, along with their cousins, sisters, and aunts, and a person who came along from my team whose whole job during the meeting was to keep an accurate count of how many times Bill said the F word. The lower the f***-count, the better.

Bill came in.

I thought about how strange it was that he had two legs, two arms, one head, etc., almost exactly like a regular human being.

He had my spec in his hand.

He had my spec in his hand!

...


I can't for the life of me remember what they were, because I couldn't stop noticing that he was flipping through the spec...

He was flipping through the spec! [Calm down, what are you a little girl?]

... and THERE WERE NOTES IN ALL THE MARGINS. ON EVERY PAGE OF THE SPEC. HE HAD READ THE WHOLE [goshdarn] THING AND WRITTEN NOTES IN THE MARGINS.


He Read The Whole Thing! [OMG SQUEEE!]
...
Finally the killer question.


"I don't know, you guys," Bill said, "Is anyone really looking into all the details of how to do this? Like, all those date and time functions. Excel has so many date and time functions. Is Basic going to have the same functions? Will they all work the same way?"


"Yes," I said, "except for January and February, 1900."

Silence.

Worth reading the rest (start to finish) in context.

Let's just say the BillG reviews are missing at Apple right now.

Labels: , ,