Learn More About Software Offers - SourceForge.net:

At installation time you'll be prompted to consider one or more third-party offers, which youโ€™re under no obligation to accept. However, we hope youโ€™ll consider it, because by doing that you'll make possible for us to share advertising revenues with those projects.

(This is from my latest download of FileZilla -- "Transmit, when are you going xplat?" he asked wistfully.  ;^D)

Even in the age of GitHub, I like SourceForge.  You know [okay okay, you don't; I could upload any zip I want to SF if I want] simply by virtue of the URL what you're getting -- open source software.  But I hate this sort of forced spam.  Java/Oracle has been doing it lately too, which the "opt in" checkboxes clicked, so a Nexter is in trouble.

Java's is classless.  SF's is close.  They have Decline buttons in SF's and there is a nice link asking, "Why am I seeing this?" that hits the page, above, but I really don't like the way cash has invaded installation of f/Free software.

It might be micropayment/fundraising time for SF?  I don't know, but I do know that I hate this.

Labels: , ,