Even the so called "good" software patents have a lot of the same elements as th... | Hacker News:

I have been involved with several patent suits (on both litigant side and defendant side) and as an engineer, I have to admit that there has never been a time when I haven't read the statement of the problem the patent says its going to solve, and not thought of the solution myself, way before the patent presents the same solution. In other words, every single litigated software patent I've been asked to review has been BLATANTLY obvious. And I'm no genius. I've talked to other engineers and they've all said the same thing. I just explain a problem domain, and they usually give a solution that comes under the claims of the litigated patent.

I wish this was the bar for a patent -- If it's not intuitively obviously ("BLATANTLY") new and patentable, it's not patentable at all.

Labels: , ,