The battery in my Lenovo Y700-14ISK is finally getting to the point that it's holding me back. I might get 60-70 minutes out of it just with casual programming. That's not crazy. It's a gaming laptop, and it's obviously meant to stay plugged in. It also has a pretty phat processor for a laptop (an i7-7700HQ) that made it an attractive programmer's box two years ago.

But two years later, the battery's ready to go.

I've been waiting for a MacBook that was worth buying, and that I dodged buying two years ago with this Lenovo, and I remain hopeful yet again that this will be the year to get back to portable macOSing.

I want portable Windows with battery life, but I don't want to break the bank to buy a ThinkPad, since I'm planning to grab a Mac this buying cycle as my "real" work box.

I've purchased stuff like the cheap IdeaPads before, and they're more computer than you've paid for. Great battery, decent keyboard, and almost able to keep up with server and javascript work. But, ultimately, not fast enough for real production.

Acer Inspire: Where has this been?

Then I ran into the Acer Inspire while looking at cheapy laptop comparisons on Amazon. Wow. Look at these two...

  • Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM for $350!
    • 15.6-Inch
    • Intel Core i3-7100U 7th Generation
    • 4GB DDR4
    • 1TB 5400RPM HD
    • Intel HD Graphics 620
    • Windows 10 Home
    • Looks like a real 9-10 hours of battery !?!!

That's not bad, but the real kicker is that it seems like this laptop was made for people willing to upgrade. Look inside this thing:

access panel on Acer Inspire 15

One panel and you've got your SATA drive, RAM, and an m.2 slot accessible. It's like they expected you to swap and/or upgrade this box! Insane!

But once you start adding up RAM and an SSD, well, you're pushing up to around $550. Which almost exactly where the Inspire's next step up lives:

  • Acer Aspire E 15 E5-576G-5762 for $600
    • 15.6" Full HD,
    • 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U
    • GeForce MX150
    • 8GB RAM Memory
    • 256GB SSD
    • Same 9-10 hours of battery life.

Well, hello. This is getting close to too much to pay for making Windows portable, but isn't the better processor worth an extra $100? Here are some ballparks from cpubenchmark.net -- this first is the i3 in the cheap Inspire, then the i5 in the $600 version, then the one I got in my Lenovo:

i3-7100U vs i5-8250U vs i7-7700HQ

Now, for $250 over the cheap Inspire, we get an SSD (though not the one I'd've purchased, and we lose the TB of spinning platter space) and just enough RAM to squeeze by for a while -- and the chance to upgrade to 32! That's nice. Eat 32 gigs, MacBook Pro.

And the processor? Those numbers are close enough to my old i7, I could probably trade it in and not feel it too badly.

It's bigger than I'd like. I don't need the DVD drive. It's still got VGA, which even I finally removed from my desk setup recently. The Inspire is a dinosaur.

But it's an easily upgradeable dinosaur with a good drive & the latest processor for $600. That, my friends, is a proverbially impressive piece of kit.

Do I worry about the cheap keyboard? Yes. Yes and no.

ThinkPad keyboard overlain on laptop

Six hundred simoleons is a bit more than I wanted to spend for the equivalent of a new battery. I always think, "If you could have $X off of your next laptop by not buying now, what could you the afford to get?" And $600 would be nice to put towards a MacBook Pro with its own nice battery.

But any way you slice it, if you want a nice Windows box for some work, and don't mind not having Pro, the Acer Inspire looks like it should be your value baseline.

Labels: , , , , ,