I'm kind of tired hearing that Apple is all about detail. Is their hardware impressive? Traditionally, yes -- even now, yes, minus one exceptionally depressive fail with their laptop keyboards & their inability to adapt with headless pro machines.

But here's a good example of where design simply isn't done in iOS, specifically the Contacts app.

  1. Enter a new contact.
  2. Enter a Company name, rather than a First and Last
  3. Click + for adding a new phone number

Expected behavior: Since we filled in Company name, I'd expect "work' to be the default phone type.

Actual behavior: "home" is the default phone type.

That's a huge fail. We're in iOS 11, folks. How could someone not have added this by now? How many Contacts entries around the world have just a company name and just a "home" phone?


This reminds me of another Apple design fail I ran into (har harโ€ฆ keep reading to get the pun) recently... I went running one morning, but didn't have my Apple watch, so I carried my phone.

Later, I looked at my proverbial rings, and though exercise is closed at 32, my red ring is stuck at 147.

apple watch with 32 mins of exercise, but only 147 in

I realize the "Move Ring" keys off of stuff like heartbeats, which my phone won't capture, but believe me, once you're over, let's conservatively say, 6 miles per hour, it's clear you're moving, okay?