Remember Joel Spolsky's "Let Me Go Back" letter? I do.

Microsoft, specifically Microsoft Office, doesn't.


I'm obviously trying to save the file to my local drive. And I obviously would prefer not to have to navigate that horrendous UI Word has now to move from OneDrive to my drive.

For an app that still impressively honors old keystroke recipes -- like alt-I, B (alt-insert, break) to insert a page break -- this really offends me (haha) as a user. They are actively preventing you from saving to your drive. (This is not new. This is simply the first time I got aggravated enough to post.)

This is not progress. This is a commercial for OneDrive.



Okay, as you might expect, this is almost fixable.


And this is heavenly by comparison...


... but...


  1. It's not discoverable, and... 
  2. Let's not pretend it's an actual fix that recreates the old behavior. 
The new dialog remains objectively worse:


Fewer keystrokes is better! Let me go back!

Labels: , , , , , , ,