Before you consider buying new AirPods, some quick advice...

If you have an older version of AirPods that you enjoyed, just replace their batteries. I replaced my first generation AirPods by sending them to PodSwap back in February for $60, and I've been meaning to say they work every bit as well as new for a while now.

Look, there's one place Apple gives you more battery than you need, just one: The AirPods case. Even when my AirPods were down to just one functional pod keeping maybe a 30 min charge, my case was still ready to go. PodSwap trades out your existing pods with refreshed ones, and they even send them ahead of time so you're never out of headphones. You keep your case -- mine is very nearly as good as new, charge wise, it appears -- and you're only out $60 for your "new" 'phones.

I don't see much about the new ones that'd have me buying. I mean, I wish my 1st gen AirPods did "Hey, Siri" like 2nd gen, and Spatial Audio has me interested (though see the Verge's "Apple Musicโ€™s Spatial Audio is sometimes amazing but mostly inconsistent", including the hint that all headphones can play Spatial Audio?), but I never miss either when listening. (Again, my AirPod "taps" are mapped to 1. fast forward and 2. rewind, which is much more useful than "tap to Siri". Take one out to pause & put it in the play.)

I tried Beats Solo and found myself going back to the AirPods even when they still had dying batteries. There's something about that handy lighter-sized case and top snapping (foreshadowing intended) that's wonderfully portable and enjoyable to use.

The longer you can push back your Apple hardware upgrades the better for your pocketbook. Refreshing your AirPods is one of the easiest ways to save some dough.

Labels: , ,