Essentially all my life, if I've had text selected in an editor and typed a character, the text disappears (is deleted) and only the character typed remains in its place.

I've noticed VS Code doesn't do this by default for all characters. It auto-surrounds instead. /sigh

If I have code selected and hit {, it surrounds all of that selection with a pair of squiggle brackets instead of deleting it.

(I actually hate auto-closing brackets too. If I type { even with nothiing selected, please don't insert a } I now have to manage. Note that theses are two different behaviors.)

For me, the solution is to turn off autoSurround.

In json:

editor.autoSurround": "never"

And in the Settings UI.

a picture of how to set autoSurround in VS Code's UI for settings

Thank you for attending this sanity talk.

Labels: ,