TL;DR

dotnet add reference /Users/login/Projects/path-to-other-ref-folder/FolderName/newProjectToAdd.csproj

… from the directory of the csproj you want to add the reference to.


Today’s issue: Visual Studio is giving me some the type initializer for monodevelop threw an exception whenever I open or try to create a new project.

Solution: Use VS Code for now (which I usually only use for TypeScript).


Issue #2: I need to add a reference to a local project.

Solution #2: dotnet add reference -- hat tip to step 4 from here


It’s really that easy. I’m on macOS, so I cd to the directory where the other csproj file lives.

Then I pwd to get the full path.

mydrive:FolderName login$ pwd
/Users/login/Projects/path-to-other-ref-folder/FolderName

Go back to the location of the csproj you’re adding the reference to.

Now hit up add ref:

dotnet add reference /Users/login/Projects/path-to-other-ref-folder/FolderName/newProjectToAdd.csproj

And it’ll put it in that csproj, with a path relative to your current csproj.

  <ItemGroup>
    <ProjectReference Include="..\..\..\path-to-other-ref-folder\FolderName\newProjectToAdd.csproj" />
  </ItemGroup>

That’s good enough for now. When I’m back in full VS mode with good net access, I’ll replace with a nuget, but this was a good temporary solution.

Keep on codin’…

Labels: , ,