It looks like the SE 2 is a real thing, but I’m also seeing a good deal of blowback online that this rumored design isn’t a real SE.

Look, it looks like it’s not a 4" phone. In that way, it’s not an SE. I’d like to have an iPhone 5 Steve Edition phone with an A13 in it, but that’s apparently not in the cards.

An A13 (the latest processor) in a phone case that’s significantly smaller than the XR/11 is, however. And that’s really where the original SE impressed. For $400, you had as fast an iPhone (within reason) as you could buy at the time. It was a top-of-the-line phone for bottom-of-the-line prices.

When you can get the latest iPhone processor for $400, that’s a deal all by itself. If you keep thinking, “If I wanted an iPhone 8, I would’ve purchased an iPhone 8,” you’re not trying hard enough. The 8 has an A11. That’s not bad, but it’s two generations old. Why would you shell out $450 when you can save $50 and get two more years of support come March?

The SE 2 question really reduces to if you like Face ID and not Touch ID. Personally, I’m exhausted with Face ID. I have a reasonably secure passcode on my phone, and sometimes the stupid thing tries to unlock when I’m just changing volume or using the flashlight and the “false failures” locks out Face ID, forcing me to type in that long password to do something simple, like check the weather. I also notice when I’m riding my bike with Runkeeper I get lots of Face ID locks, which isn’t cool when I’m exercising.

I really like the no-look, no accidental unlock failure, multiple fingers mean multiple people sorts of advantages of Touch ID. I’m looking forward to trading out the XR I’ve used for the last year-plus for something smaller, slightly faster, and easier & more convenient [imo] to unlock.

Am I really hoping the 4.7“ SE 2 is 4.7” in an edge-to-edge screen in an iPhone 5 case? Sure, but if it’s got Touch ID, that’s not possible. My guess is that ain’t happening.

Labels: