Well, this is the first time I've been disappointed by my Series 2.
 
I use the watch for three things:
  1. Notifications
  2. Setting the volume on my AirPods (the watch is the missing volume knob, if you didn't already know. Guess the AirPods Max made this super clear.)
  3. Running without a phone*
The Series 2 has GPS, which is nice. I hear people say that the Series 3 is when the watch really hit stride. Maybe. But the 2 is when 1st party fitness became usable. (And only first party. I've tried Nike+ and Runkeeper, and neither do as well with maps and reliability as using Apple's apps on the 2.)
 
Unfortunately that feeling of the Series 2 supporting first party fitness doesn't, ironically, carry over for Fitness+. Fitness+ requires at least a Series 3.
 
That's fine and reasonably fair, I guess, but I keep seeing descriptions of Fitness+ that say you just "need an Apple watch". Not true! You need a Series 3 or higher.
 
That admission was hard to find, literally buried in the small print of Apple's Fitness+ page.
 
 
That was less than impressive. I really thought I had a chance to play along. No dice.
 
I don't think it's worth the extra $150 (Series 3s have gone that low during the buying season, and are, what, $170 now? Used on Swappa are $100, though I'd be worried about battery health) to try Fitness+ out when there are so many other options that don't require it. Would've liked to try some spin classes though.
 

 
*Okay, nearing in on a fourth use for my watch: Using it as a heart monitor with Zwift. I'm just a few days into my free week, and it is fun. Right now I've just laid out $20 for a speed sensor that I was able to finagle onto my stationary bike (that I got to rehab after a sports injury surgery, so no extra cost there).
 
I'm trying not to talk myself into an $800 smart trainer that increases resistance on hills, etc. So far successful, but though I've won some battles, I'm afraid I'm going to lose the war.

Labels: , , ,