From "The 5G iPhone SE will be for carriers, not customers " at theverge.com:

Now, just two years later, Apple is preparing to release its third-generation iPhone SE, oneย thatโ€™s rumoredย to offer broadly the same design as the 2020 SE, but with an upgraded processor and camera from the 2020 model, along with 5G.

And itโ€™s that final detail โ€” the addition of 5G โ€” that seems to revealย whyย Apple is upgrading the iPhone SE this early: itโ€™s an upgrade for the carriers, not the customers.

This is 100% accurate.

This is not.

Even if Apple sticks in an A14 (iPhone 12-equivalent) or A15 (iPhone 13) chipset, itโ€™s only helping to future proof the 2022 SE by another year or two โ€” hardly a reason to introduce a whole new model.ย 

If the prices are the same, just updating to an A15 makes the SE an amazing bargain once again.

This phone should be current as long as the iPhone 13 is.

And, as I've mentioned before, I hate Face ID. This could be the last iPhone with a Touch ID on the home button. If the rumored "SE BIG" based on the Xr has the same Touch ID as the iPad mini, count me out.

(And the SE 3 is rumored to have a 256 gig version available.)


I've seen MacRumors say that the SE 3 camera is going to be updated. I hope so, and that was one of the coolest parts of the first iPhone SE, which stole the 6S' rear (but not front) camera, but I don't think that's likely here.

I think I recall the SE 2 didn't bother upgrading the 8's camera other than the "sensor". And I bet the only additions we should expect are things that would be harder to remove than to keep. If it's easier to supply a new sensor, it'll use it, otherwise not. If it's easier to add night mode or whatever in software than remove it, it'll use it. Otherwise not.

But if they wanted to update the camera, I wouldn't fight them. I've been using the SE 1 since I gave away my SE 2, trying to use the iPad mini 6 as "my iPhone" while working at home, and, well, let's just say it's time for a new phone when I do go out.

If they really have the rumored 256 gig model for under $650, yes, please.

Labels: ,