Can StackOverflow leave nothing untouched? ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‰

Maybe some UXer can explain why arrows with circles around them are better than the old vote buttons with just arrows.


Has this been around for a while and I just missed them? 

Well, at least I now know it happened between now and 2020.

I worry that some UI changes are made just to keep people employed and busy. I'm sure there's a good argument or 15 to change it. I'm not sure they're always good reasons.

I still use a version of SourceTree on Windows from 2015 when I'm on Windows. There's nothing wrong with it. I prefer it. I had a coworker see it on a screenshare and say, "Where can I get that theme?" 

What if your redesign resources had been spent on anything else? How many sprints saved? How awesome would your app be? 

Again, not that a redesign is bad. In many markets, simply refreshing the page will drive sales. Just keep in mind the opportunity cost. I realize SourceTree's users are probably more "aged UI tolerant" than most (see my previous post where I admint to using kdiff3), but... 

How much better has SourceTree's core UX experience really gotten in the last six and a half years? What percentage of their storypoints went to it? Worth it? Idk. (But my guess is heck no. Also note that they've worked through several UI iterations since then. Remember when they used a diamond ring for Commit? And people liked it? /cringe twice. Brah culture much?)

In other SO news, I did hit 15k and can protect questions now. I expected to be more impressed when I hit it the way I was with 10k, but... not so much. It's cool, and I'm happy some answers continue to help folks, but I really need to find another semi-obscure but useful tag to sit on.


EDIT: Here's some description. There is a comment that this makes the page more accessible for the visually impaired. I'd like to know how. Does that mean I don't see the improvement? (no pun intended) Yeah, but that's the point of asking. Honestly, what's the improvement?

Maybe down/up/votes are clearer?

There's also a comment that the design doesn't really meet WCAG compliance after all. Apparently they didn't QA dark mode. ๐Ÿคฆ

Labels: , , , , ,