As my tempest of phone upgrade decisions rages in its teapot (Duo vs Fairphone vs. 17e vs. 18e), it occurs to me that the iPhone Duo's unfolding animation is a replacement for turning your phone sideways. I don't do that often now, but when I do, it's for exactly the sorts of uses that the Duo excelled at in the keynote.

Questions:

  • What's the landscape outside to portrait inside animation look like? Where is the "sidebar"/dock?
    • I recall one maybe full-frame portrait shot, but maybe the Duo was folded? I don't recall. 
  • Can I use it left-handed now? Later?

I know it's, as someone commented [to me directly] on a similar post I made years ago, a third world problem, but Apple hasn't been great with left-handers for a while:

  1. iPhone lock screen and lefties (2019)
  2. Why does Apple ignore left-handers? (2013)
  3. New iPod touch hates lefties (2011) 

I kind of get it. Since the Mac LC was described to me by my Pascal (!!) teacher as, "The computer that does 90% of what everyone needs but by design never lets you get that last 10%," I've known and seen that Apple shoots for the happy, most common path to KISS.

Which is to say I'm interested in seeing how wide a path we've got now with the Duo and if there are plans -- good, deliberate plans (I'm looking at you, multitasking on iPad) -- to make that path wider in the future. 

I mean, you really couldn't avoid it (could you?), but the watch obviously has a pretty useful left-handed mode, though I can't help but think Apple would, if truth-serum-ed, say the crown on top and button underneath is the superior position (just as the Duo would have the selfie camera down at the bottom like those bizarre Dell computers where you get to watch the fingers of people on your calls as they type).

Labels: , ,